Call them pull-ups, call them chin-ups: regardless, they are a difficult exercise for many people to master.
But doing pull ups doesn’t have to be hard. In fact, when I first started working out years ago, I could barely do one pull up, and after a couple of years I could do more than 20! Here are some tips to help you get better at pull ups:
First, how to do your first pull up…
The first thing you have to do is learn how to do your first pull up. There are a few ways to go about this:
1. Have a friend push you up to complete the pull up.
2. Stand on a chair and finish the pull up. After awhile try doing a normal pull up. (Be careful that the chair shouldn’t fall. It’s best to have someone around.)
3. Everyday, continually try to complete a pull up until you succeed.
Once you use one of the above methods, you should be able to do your first pull up. From your first pull up, you should find yourself improving pretty quickly. But what happens if you hit a plateau and have trouble improving? Then try these tips:
1. Use a thicker bar to increase your grip.
2. Wear a weighted vest while you do the pull up.
3. Do the pull ups either more quickly or more slowly than usual.
Follow the above tips, and you should find yourself getting better than ever at doing pull ups. Enjoy!
by Rafi Bar-Lev